Monday, July 25, 2011

A peculiar spiritual discipline

So, here I am, with my latest blog (I abandoned WordPress after they just kept getting less and less free), and I know what I want to do with it: I want to work through the songwriting process here, sometimes posting finished stuff, sometimes posting things in process.  Mainly this is a journal - left open on the kitchen table of the world, in the hope that some other struggling part-time songwriter will see it, pick it up, and fellowship can be joyously had over the weird and wondrous spiritual discipline of writing songs as a method of prayer, worship and chronicling the journey.

I also want to record some of my favorite hymns and post guitar-friendly lead sheets of them... and perhaps, after a decade or so, I will have a nice compilation that some worship leader in a small church somewhere will find useful.

So, I see here a combination of three "spiritual disciplines" of mine colliding a bit: Songwriting, hymnody and journaling (thru blogging).  And here's the thing: I'm not very good at being consistent, which is why I'm calling them spiritual disciplines.  Spiritual disciplines, according to Dallas Willard, are things we do because a) they build us up and mold us into the image of Christ so that our lives can begin to resemble His and b) we aren't good at them so we need discipline!

For some people, these might not look like spiritual disciplines.  But songwriting is like a prayer form to me; and the great hymns proclaim Truth to me in ways I would never have come up with; and journaling/blogging, helps me to remember the things I need to never forget.

So, if you happen upon this here blog, and you see no posts for a few weeks, please get on me about it.  Iron sharpens iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!