Sunday, January 9, 2011

A pleasant Sunday, with enticing hope for tomorrow

Today:

  • Our church started a John Piper intergenerational Sunday School on prayer today.  I thought that was a nifty way to eliminate artificial "niche" classes for at least one season.  Kudos to Piper for a great idea, and to my wife and her colleagues in the children's educational leadership for jumping at it.
  • I got to do my once-a-month stint singing with the worship team today.  I got to trade off solos with my main man Brad for a jazzy rendition of "I'm So Glad Trouble Don't Last Always".  Pure delight.
  • My family and I had a delightful, low-key Lord's Day.  My daughter and I hunkered down in adjacent rooms, both working on some "songwriting".  
    • For her, that often involves singing variations of a song she liked at church loudly into my voice recorder, or imitating me as I wrestle with a tune, phrase or chord progression - today, she was singing the chorus to Tye Tribbett's Bohemian-Rhapsody-esque "Bless the Lord".  
    • For me, it was trying to make a new tune for the great, if obscure Ellen Goreh hymn "In the Secret of His Presence" (yes, the one that Sandra McCracken turned into a beautiful meditation); I wanted to make it into a peppy, bluesy tune the intergenerational Sunday School could sing, and I think I succeeded (I'll put a rough demo of it on here soon enough).
  • Anne and I taught our daughter how to play Carcassonne (if you like Catan, you'd like this).
  • I'm reaching the exciting climax of The Prisoner of Azkaban on audiobook.  I'm late to the party; sue me.  No spoilers, please!
  • On top of all that, my school is on a three hour delay tomorrow.  I just love snow - and I especially think it's completely endearing that Charlotte has no clue how to respond to a few inches of snow; they are soooooo cute!  If this were coming down in Chicago?  We'd be hoofin' it through the cold to get to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!