Thursday, August 20, 2015

A “New” Old Song, Unearthed...


You know that feeling of total despondency when you lose something that is totally irreplaceable?  Hopefully, this feeling is replaced by one of acceptance.

You know that feeling of ... wow ... when the thing just shows up again one day, in the last place you'd expect to find it?  Well...

Back in 2009, as my family and I were preparing to end a two year period of living and teaching in La Paz, Bolivia (at a wonderful school known as Highlands International School - yes, this school is definitely HIS!), I wanted to leave them with parting words.  I chose the words of the Master Himself, from several passages of Scripture (which I am currently too sleepy to look up).  I wrote a little ditty and recorded it with my friend and fellow teacher, Victor Aguilar.  He played djembe and I played guitar and sang.

I recorded the song, and put it on CD for everyone.

For everyone except myself.

Duh.

Over the past six years, we have moved a couple of times, decluttered, sorted stuff, organized, disorganized, and reorganized.  In all that time, every effort to find this song (and others I composed and recorded while in Bolivia) was in vain.

Until today, when I happened to be looking around in the SD card on my Chromebook.

The same SD card that was in my clunky old, now rather dead computer from Bolivia.

So, when I listened to it today, alternately cringing and smiling, questioning this note or that, and tapping my feet the whole time, I decided it was a good idea to share it.

My dear old school of Highlands International School - as well as my many other beloved old schools (Mt. Ulla Elementary, Trinity Episcopal School, and Third Creek Elementary) are all at the beginning of a new school year.  At my current school, Socrates Academy, we begin on Monday.  This song is a benediction, a prayer, for all these schools, and for your school or your kids' school.

Go in peace, to love and serve the Lord.  And may the peace of God - Father, Son and Holy Spirit - be with us all, now and forever.  Even when school gets a little too crazy!

(Oh, and here's where you can go to see the lyrics and learn the chords to play!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!