Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Working through a hymn tune for "In the Secret of His Presence"

Sandra McCracken turned Indian hymn writer Ellen Goreh's 1883 "In the Secret of His Presence" into a beautiful, flowing meditation a few years back. I am not trying to top such a masterpiece.

However, her version is just what I said it was: a meditation - flowing, quiet, and not really meant for congregational singing. I wanted to make a version for that purpose. I know the song could be sung to the tune of "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy" or "What a Friend We Have in Jesus" (and thus, presumably, "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"), but I wanted to try my hand at a fresh take on it.

Version 1:


Version 2:


I've come up with two slightly different variations. Version 1 (actually the newer version) differs from the older Version 2 only in the third line of each stanza: V. 1 progresses from Em-A7-Bm-C9 and has a slightly more distinct melody line than V. 2. Version 2's melody is a little flatter and goes from A7-Bm-G-C9.

Thought I would throw both up here. Feel free to use it in your church if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!