Saturday, January 29, 2011

First day of classes...

I'm here at Gordon-Conwell in Charlotte, learning from Dr. Mayer on how to write at the graduate level.  Last week was my orientation and this is my first class.

So excited!  I am 37, 13 years since graduating with my Bachelo's degree at Wright State.  It's about time.

As pre-reading for this integrative seminar on grad-level writing, we read part of On Writing Well by William Zinsser.  He has some four basics for writing non-fiction:
  • Clarity
  • Simplicity
  • Brevity
  • Humanity
My only qualm with him: he says that his book is only for use in writing non-fiction.  As a songwriter and avid reader, I humbly disagree; his book could serve as a guide (at least the four principles above) for writers of all types.  Who wouldn't like a songwriter, novelist or playwright who writes clearly; simply; using brief, active verbs and vivid nouns; and with honest, authentic humanness?

Random thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!